...

...

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The B-I-B-L-E

The B-I-B-L-E
Yes that's the book for me
I stand alone on the word of God
The B-I-B-L-E

Children's songs are awesome! I listen to Sunday school songs with Isaac while he is playing not only for him to learn, but for me as well. I don't remember any children's songs because I haven't been involved in Children's ministry for a long time and obviously haven't been a child for a long time. We listen to kids radio on Pandora and I find myself singing those crazy songs at random, but The B-I-B-L-E is on my mind all the time. I realized yesterday morning what I was actually singing and that I probably don't stand alone on the word of God. I tend to find other things to "stand on" for wisdom, strength, and peace. I have been reading the Bible in a Year and a trying to read a chapter in Proverbs every day. Obviously I haven't been reading the Bible every day because I am just now close to finishing Exodus. I get a little selfish at the times I can study God's word and take a nap! Yesterday while Isaac was taking his first nap, I caught myself surfing around on the internet before hanging out with Jesus. Isaac woke up before I was able to open the Word. For some odd reason "The B-I-B-L-E, yes that's the book for me..." popped in my head as I was going to get him from his crib. Singing the song gave me the idea that Isaac and I should read the Word together. He is only 8 months old, but when we think babies aren't listening they actually are. As he sat in front of me, with some toys to keep his attention, I read to him Exodus 33 -34 and Psalm 29. He was looking at me the majority of the time and I believe he enjoyed listening to my voice or he was just drawn to the pages of the Bible (he loves to rip things apart).

I read him books all the time ("Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?", "Green Eggs and Ham", "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb", and pretty much all of Dr. Suess), but nothing that takes as long as reading 3 chapters in the Bible and he paid attention! Not only will Isaac possibly gain knowledge from the B-I-B-L-E, but his attention span could be lengthened. My hope is that I raise Isaac to stand alone on the word of God and that we continue reading together.

From our reading, Psalms 29:11 says, "The Lord will give strength to His people; The Lord will bless His people with peace", which is so comforting to hear especially when you are a mom. I need God's strength everyday because when I try to do everything I do on my own strength I get frustrated, overwhelmed, and burned out. I also need the peace of God to help me not worry when Isaac hits his head or runs a fever or has worse problems. Having the peace of God helps me give Him complete control. God is there for you at all times you just need to go to Him and sit at His feet.

Enjoy motherhood!
- Momma Root

Question of the day:
What do you like to read to your child?

Article: Reading Books to Babies

No comments:

Post a Comment